The Charlottesville Playwrights’ Collective is accepting submissions of scripts for its third production, in April/May 2018.
The collective is a group of playwrights in the Charlottesville/Albemarle area who have come together to produce their own and each other’s original theatrical works. Each participating playwright will actively contribute to the production of other members’ scripts, thereby creating a self-sustaining production organization dedicated exclusively to the staging of new plays by Charlottesville area playwrights. Our first production, Moving, by Sean McCord is currently running at the Belmont Arts Collaborative Theater. Our second production, Alex Citron’s Stolen Moon, will open on March 2, at the same venue.
The Collective is currently seeking scripts which meet the following criteria:
- The script must be a full-length play, of at least one hour in running time.
- The script must be unpublished, and must not have had a previous, fully-staged production in the Charlottesville area. Plays produced outside of the Charlottesville area are acceptable, as are plays produced locally as readings and/or lightly staged workshop productions.
- The script must have undergone some kind of critical workshopping, table reading or other development process. We are not seeking first drafts.
- The script must not be a musical, although a small amount of incidental music may be considered.
- Simple production values and limited cast size are not required, but may increase a script’s chances of being selected.
- The script must bear no encumbrances on its production rights.
- The playwright must live, work or study within Charlottesville or Albemarle County.
In addition, any playwright whose script is selected will be expected to act as producer or co-producer of his/her production. Selected playwrights are expected to participate actively in the development and production of his/her script, and to attend rehearsals and/or production meetings as necessary. Also, each selected playwright will be expected to assist in the production of one additional play, before or after his/her own.
Playwrights may not direct their own scripts. The selection of a director is subject to the approval of the leadership of the collective.
To submit one or more scripts for consideration:
- We will accept only electronic PDF copies of scripts.
- We will accept up to three scripts per playwright.
- Each submitted script should be e-mailed separately; only one script per e-mail.
- Each submission must be accompanied by a cover page/letter, listing:
- Title of the play
- Name of author
- Mailing address, phone number and email address of author
- Cast of characters, including any casting requirements
- Description of the basic production needs, including set, lighting, sound effects, costuming, props, special effects, etc.
- Approximation of the play’s running time
- The scripts previous workshop/reading history, if applicable
Send submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line “script submission.”
Submissions must be received by October 22, 2017.
Playwrights making submissions will be notified of our decisions by November 30, 2017.
For more information, please email email@example.com or visit the Collective website at http://CVillePlays.org
Charlottesville Playwrights’ Collective